Starting another run of “Ultimate” thread stands and after giving the lathe a through cleaning and oiling we start by prepping the brass rod by turning it down to size before it gets cut into sections.
Once upon a time I cut all these little slugs by hand but the addition of a metal band saw makes the work easier and faster.
After cutting, the brass gets centre drilled for further machining and turned down and squared off as the dimension of the base has to be pretty exact. I made the dial indicator holder on my little mill to measure these cuts accurately.
The holes for the thread arm and lower set screw get drilled on the press, the drilling of the longitudinal holes will get done on the lathe since they are just that more accurate.
The Singer 191 was made in a number of countries with a few variations in colour and drive options, the J model was made in Canada and just like the 15-91 (on which it was based) it uses a direct drive potted motor.
Mechanically it is a Singer 15 under the bed, while the upper casting is almost the same as the later aluminium 201 Mk2 and 15-75, with a front mounted tension control and a feed dog control under the bed mounted spool pin.
Just like a Singer 15, these machines are built like tanks, are nearly indestructible, weigh a ton (they are cast iron), and will sew pretty much anything you can get under the foot.
The stitch quality is also exemplary whether you are sewing quilting cotton, or heavier materials like denim or canvas.